To find out more about our history curriculum, click on the button below.
Intent for History
For children to:
- know and understand the history of these islands as a coherent, chronological narrative, from the earliest times to the present day.
- know some of the ways that people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world.
- develop a historically grounded understanding of abstract terms such as ‘empire’, ‘civilisation’, ‘parliament’ and ‘peasantry’.
- know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world.
- know and understand the nature of ancient civilisations.
- be provided with a context for the expansion and dissolution of empires.
- know and understand the connections between local, regional, national and international history.
- know some of the connections between cultural, economic, military, political, religious and social history.
- know and understand the connections between short- and long-term timescales.
- know how to use a variety of ways to communicate knowledge and understanding i.e. extended writing / technology/ discussion / debate etc.